I was in the mood for baked oatmeal this week and something "spring-y." And so my lemon poppyseed baked oatmeal was born! To create this recipe I compared a few different baked oatmeal recipes to get the portions done and then just threw some things together in a bowl. That's the fun of it! Although baking is harder than cooking because you do need proper ratios of liquid to dry ingredients and so forth. So don't go too crazy.
I may have added too many poppy seeds but the giant bag I found was not fitting into a mason jar...
Lemon Poppyseed Baked Oatmeal
- 2 cups oats (I used 1 cup steel cut and 1 cup rolled)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 ¾ cups low fat milk
- 3 tbsp oil (can sub apple sauce)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 big handfuls chopped walnuts (or any nuts)
- 1 ½ cups frozen blueberries (or any fruit you like)
- Mix all ingredients except for nuts and berries in a large bowl until well blended.
- Add nuts and berries and stir to combine.
- Add to sprayed baked dish.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Should be bouncy when pressed.
- Enjoy with some yogurt, nut butter, or maple syrup! Whatever your heart desires.
Upon trying my recipe I'd recommend adding ¼-½ cup maple syrup. But otherwise the lemon flavor is so fresh and so tasty!
Served with a scoop of Greek yogurt and maple sugar.